Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Prawns with Asparagus in Oyster Sauce


This is my own recipe for Prawns (or Large Shrimps) with Fresh Asparagus and Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce. Do not use can asparagus for this recipe.

I saw fresh asparagus for only $2.99 per lb a 50% reduction from the regular price in our local grocery store today. The only recipe using asparagus that I am familiar with is just to steam the asparagus and dip it a butter-egg and lemon sauce. I also saw fresh white mushrooms on sale as well as prawns imported from Thailand. The following is my dish that my son love very much and was not criticized by my wife who was a good cook prior to her current illness

Ingredients

1 white onions minced
12 stalks of fresh asparagus cut into 1 inch slices
½ pint fresh white mushrooms( chopped)
½ lb prawns or large shrimps ( remove head and skin)
2 tbs vegetable oil
garlic salt to taste
4 tbs of oyster sauce

Procedure:

1.Saute the onions until it is caramelized in a pan
2.Add the asparagus and mushrooms and 1 cup of water
3.Mix and let the covered pan simmer and boil until the asparagus and mushrooms are cooked
4.Add the prawns or large shrimps, garlic pepper and the oyster sauce
5.Let the dish simmer until the prawns are cook. Do not overcooked the prawns or let the sauce dry up.
6.Serve hot with steam rice and green papaya(atsara)pickle as a side dish.

This dish will serve 4. My variation to the above recipe(in the Philippines) is to use fresh young okra instead of the asparagus. Asparagus are very expensive in the Philippines if you can find it(possibly available only in the supermarket in the big cities). Okra is abundant and will make the dish slimy and smooth. I love fresh young okra, People either love or hate okra. I happened to love okra, so if you are an okra hater eat your heart out. Again do not used can asparagus or frozen okra for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...