Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pepper Steak in Oyster Sauce



Just recently, I wrote that my wife cooked one of my favorite dish- the Dungeness Crab Omelet. In that article, I forgot to mention that when I was growing up in the Philippines that dish was one of the Katague's clan special dish. My mother used to instruct our maids to prepare the dish during our town fiesta and on special family occasion. Along with that dish, we will have lechon ( roasted baby pig), lumpia( egg rolls) and pancit( rice and egg noodles). My mother named the crab omelet, Torta de Cangreo. The crab meat is either from the big fresh-water hard-shell Philippine crabs( alimango) or from the medium sized crabs (alimasag) harvested from the sea near our residence.

I received numerous positive response on my posting on the Dungeness Crab Omelet. Tonight we will have pepper steak since my grand daughter and her Mom are visiting us. Below is my wife's recipe of the pepper steak for your information.

Pepper Steak in Oyster Sauce

1 lb boneless rib eye or sirloin steak, 2 green peppers, 1 yellow pepper, 1 red pepper, ¼ lb baby carrots, 1 white sweet Onion (Vidalia),1/4 cup oyster sauce, and dash of garlic salt

Slice the steak ( paper thin) to about 1 to 1.5 inches long. Marinate the sliced steak in ¼ cup of oyster sauce for at least one hour. During this period, slice the peppers to finger size about 2 inches long, and also the sweet onion. Cut baby carrots into half.

Sauteed the steak in 1/4 cup of oyster sauce using a WOK, until the meat is brown or cooked. Add the peppers, onions and carrots and mix. Cover the WOK and simmer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes shut of the heat and add a dash of garlic salt and mixed. Let the dish set in the hot wok until the peppers are half cooked or at least is still crunchy.( Do not overcooked the green peppers). Served the dish with steam rice. Bon Appetit, I hope!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...